The mission of Wild Salmon Center is to promote the conservation and sustainable use of wild salmon ecosystems across the Pacific Rim. We identify science-based solutions to sustain wild salmonids and the human communities and livelihoods that depend on them.
Wild Salmon Center is an international organization with programmatic activities in the Russian Far East, Japan, Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and California. The home office is located in Portland, Oregon in the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center.
WSC is the leading group working to protect the strongest wild salmon rivers around the entire North Pacific – salmon strongholds. We focus on wild salmon because they are an iconic and powerful conservation symbol, wild to the core, with an incredible life story. When you protect salmon, you support the life of whole watersheds and everything in them, including people. We build alliances with and work alongside the most effective local and regional partners in the North Pacific. Since 1992, we and our partners have together secured 71 rivers and 9 million acres in protected areas or special wild fish management areas.
Work with Us
Senior Writer and Content Developer
Reports to: Director of Communications
The Senior Writer position is full-time, salaried position for the remainder of 2019, based at our office in Portland, Oregon. The person in this position is responsible for content creation. By researching and crafting compelling narratives, campaigns, and multi-media content, you will help tell the story of the unique places, people and work we engage with, to strategically advance WSC’s conservation goals. The ideal candidate will have excellent research, communication and writing skills, a command of the multimedia environment, and solid experience in communications, journalism, public relations and/or marketing.
- Working with the Communications and Development team to develop content strategies and plans that will support WSC’s conservation programs and enhance the visibility of the organization.
- Writing, editing, and carefully crafting messages and content for a diverse group of target audiences across many mediums.
- Print materials – including annual report, fact sheets, donor appeals, event collateral, and newsletters
- Digital posts – including website, social media channels
- Presentations – assisting with multi-media shows for public events
- Action alert and campaign update emails
- Public relations work on an as needed basis, serving as a liaison between reporters and staff.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree and/or 7 years or more of communications experience preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of oral and written, and digital communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and ability to write for a variety of audiences.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- The ability to translate complex scientific and technical language into language easily comprehensible to lay people and non-experts.
- Knowledge of media operations and experience in the field of public relations.
- Experience crafting messages that measurably influence the opinions and actions of target audiences and result in specific government policy decisions and/or business action.
- Ability to successfully prioritize and manage multiple projects while adhering to firm deadlines.
- Experience working with non-profits, PR agency and/or public policy is a plus.
- Experience working on multimedia storytelling – photography, film, audio, data visualization, and/or virtual reality — is a plus
- Familiarity with conservation and/or salmon and fisheries issues a plus.
- Passion for Wild Salmon Center’s mission.
This is a full-time salaried position for the remainder of the year. Monthly pay ranges from $5,000 to $5,800, based on experience. The compensation package includes excellent fringe benefits package, including retirement, medical and dental plan. Flexible spending account, life insurance and disability coverage is also provided. The salary offered is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Position open until filled. Our intention is to hire quickly. Contract may be extendable beyond December 2019, based on mutual agreement.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
To Apply: Please send three writing samples or other examples of your work, cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Communications Specialist” in the email subject line. Job posting closes on May 27, 2019.
Note: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Volunteer with Us
Want to make a difference in protecting some of the most beautiful and diverse ecosystems across the northern Pacific Rim? Check out our volunteer page.