The mission of Wild Salmon Center is to promote the conservation and sustainable use of wild salmon ecosystems across the Pacific Rim. We identify science-based solutions to sustain wild salmonids and the human communities and livelihoods that depend on them.
Wild Salmon Center is an international organization with programmatic activities in the Russian Far East, Japan, Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and California. The home office is located in Portland, Oregon in the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center.
Work with Us
Oregon Policy Associate
Location: Portland, OR
Reporting Relationships: The Oregon Policy Associate will report to the Oregon and California Policy Director.
The ideal candidate will have at least two years of experience leading efforts to advance conservation policy and programs in the Western U. S., with experience in Oregon preferred.
The ideal candidate will have experience designing and executing public engagement campaigns, including developing timelines and action plans with quantifiable goals and objectives. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience working in stressful and occasionally ambiguous situations. This individual will have experience working with a range of key stakeholders, including conservation interests, landowners, tribes, elected officials, and other citizen groups. The ideal candidate must have the ability to think quickly, analyze diverse data, and articulate a clear, focused message. Experience with policies on water and forests especially desirable. Experience with donors and fundraising a plus.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and characteristics:
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills with the ability to think strategically, creatively, and to execute with precision. Organizational skills, some budget experience, and excellent speaking and writing skills are essential.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, diplomacy and presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate with internal partners and to build strong relationships with key external partners including governmental agencies, foundations, political stakeholders, and other NGOs.
- Commitment to the conservation of biologically significant salmonid habitat, with some background in water and forests.
- Experience working with the media, writing press releases, building lists of supporters, managing email databases, speaking in public, and working on tight timelines.
- Experience working with donors and fundraising.
- Experience with legislative and administrative rulemaking processes.
- Demonstrated expertise in the development and implementation of outreach and education campaigns on conservation issues.
- Strong understanding of conservation issues.
- Ability to cultivate and negotiate coalition partners.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the public interest.
The Oregon Policy Associate is responsible for developing and carrying out conservation campaigns in Oregon.
- Develop and implement campaign plans, consistent with programmatic goals, including outreach, education, and communication activities.
- Participate in Oregon program strategy discussions and implementation.
- Contribute in a timely and professional manner to proposals and reports to foundations or other donors.
- Work closely with the Communications Team to execute campaign plans.
- Cultivate and maintain communications with grassroots supporters via social media, bulk emails, and personal contacts.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Travel: This position requires periodic travel within Oregon.
Compensation: The compensation package includes a competitive base salary depending upon experience (estimated range: $40,000 – $50,000). An excellent benefits package including 401(k) match, medical and dental plan, life insurance and disability coverage, and 125 health and dependent care plan is also provided.
To apply: Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Oregon Policy Associate” in the email header.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Volunteer with Us
Want to make a difference in protecting some of the most beautiful and diverse ecosystems across the northern Pacific Rim? Check out our volunteer page.