The mission of Wild Salmon Center is to promote the conservation and sustainable use of wild salmon ecosystems across the Pacific Rim. We identify science-based solutions to sustain wild salmonids and the human communities and livelihoods that depend on them.Wild Salmon Center is an international organization with a staff of 31. The Organization has programmatic activities in the Russian Far East, Sakhalin, Kamchatka, Japan, the Olympic Peninsula, Bristol Bay, and the Oregon North Coast. The home office is located in Portland, Oregon in the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center.
Work with Us
Volunteers and Interns
Want to make a differnece in protecting some of the most beautiful and diverse ecosystems across the northern Pacific Rim? Check out our volunteer page.
Reports to: Executive Vice-President
The Director of Finance is a regular, full-time position envisioned at .8FTE. The Director sets WSC financial policy and direction while also being an active participant in the organization’s overall strategy. The Director has the responsibility and authority for directing financial functions, including accounting and contract administration. This position requires hands-on, day-to-day high level accounting responsibilities and senior management components.
The Director of Finance ensures compliance with WSC’s administrative policies; IRS regulations; Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) requirements; and state, local and regulatory reporting rules and regulations. As a member of the senior management team, the Director works closely with the audit/finance committee of the board of directors and provides support to enhance board governance.
The position requires a broad knowledge of finance and risk management, strategic thinking, compliance, and supervision of financial staff.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provides strategic recommendations to the executive and senior management teams based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Oversees long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with Wild Salmon Center’s Strategic Plan.
- Engages the Development Program to align financial management with short and long term financial planning and projections.
- Supports the executive team in activities that support, enhance and align the functions of the board of directors with the mission and goals of Wild Salmon Center.
- Presents financials to the Board and serves as primary in-house WSC financial reference.
Financial and Risk Management
- Presents the development and implementation of annual organizational budgets; monitors progress and present operational metrics both internally and externally.
- Develops and maintains a strong system of Internal Accounting Control; monitors the use of all funds.
- Ensures proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions, including financial statements and reports for funding organizations and WSC’s board of directors, budget-to-actual reconciliation, and cash planning/forecasting.
- Reviews journal entries and payroll runs for completeness and accuracy; oversees the reconciliation of all general ledger accounts on a timely basis.
- Organizes, plans, prepares and oversees all tasks related to year-end accounting and reporting.
- Assists auditors with annual audit, overseeing schedule preparation, analysis and resolution of audit differences, and preparation of Form 990.
- Oversees the management of the accounting software.
- Meets with Program Directors to review program financial reports.
- Advises management about insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
- Reviews and tracks financial performance of all significant contracts and contractual obligations of the organization.
- Oversees and manages WSC’s retirement plans.
- Works with Human Resources on maintaining updated compensation salary bands.
- Manages finance staff, ensuring that goals and allocation of time are aligned with the strategy; contributes financial expertise to multi-disciplinary teams outside of direct span of control.
- Engages other members of the senior management team to ensure that all financial solutions positively support WSC’s evolving strategy.
- Manages corporate property and liability insurance and claims processing.
- Reviews all significant contracts and contractual obligations of the Organization.
- Charitable Solicitations Registration with states
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; MBA and/or CPA certification preferred. Minimum of 12 years’ successful management-level experience in finance.
- Proven success of having worked as an effective partner with executive and senior management staff.
- Non-profit experience required. Experience with international non-profit organizations and non-profit boards preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS). Strong understanding of basic principles of fund accounting and of FASB regulations affecting non-profits.
- Experience in budget, taxation and financial statement preparation.
- Knowledge of grants accounting required.
- Successful experience in developing, directing and managing multiple projects and implementing strategic goals. Strong analytical skills with attention to detail and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- Supervisory experience, including ability to set objectives and manage performance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a proven track record in negotiating.
The compensation package includes a competitive salary and excellent fringe benefits package including a retirement, medical and dental plan, flexible spending account, life insurance and disability coverage. The salary offered will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Send cover letter, resume and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Director of Finance" in the subject line.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Wild Salmon Center is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.